Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More GAME plan

In preparation for my GAME plan, this week has been about exploring various web sites online. I spent some time at Webs.com and toyed with web page design there. The site is really easy to use and it is free. I set up a web page to model the poetry pages we will be creating this fall, but I will have a hard time moving further along without my students to use as guinea pigs.

Next, I spent some time surfing for information and ideas about Problem-Based Learning (PBL). In the spirit of my ISTE-based goal of “designing and developing digital-age learning experiences and assessments”, I have begun digging into the concept of problem-based learning. According to the Illinois Math and Science Academy’s PBL Network web site, PBL is “focused experiential learning organized around the investigation and resolution of messy, real-world problems”. We certainly all have a lot of problems; my task this week was to choose one and write a problem-based lesson. I have chosen to center around our recycling needs in Hamilton.

As I write the lesson, I have come up with some great insights into my instructional practice. First of all, I love the usefulness of the Internet for shifting the classroom into a student-centered environment. As my class works to clarify, analyze, research and present solutions to our problem they will work as self-directed teams, leaving me to facilitate and guide. Since my ultimate goal is that my students “will, over time, assume full responsibility for their own learning” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 30), the Internet is invaluable for helping students find knowledge without me handing it to them. I am also excited for the authentic learning that can take place during problem-based learning. By presenting my students with a real-life issue that affects their community, I am giving them an opportunity to take part in “authentic intellectual work” that has “value beyond school” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 35).

My next steps require me to be a step ahead of my students. I need to start researching the background behind our recycling problem. I need to make community connections to I can get some experts in to help my students understand the issue we will be exploring. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Wish me luck!
Kris

Resources:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning
Introduction to problem-based learning. (2010, March 30). PLBNetwork: Collaborative Inquiry in Action. Retrieved July 27, 2010 from http://pbln.imsa.edu/model/intro/ )
Project Based Learning: The Online Resource for PBL. (2005). Buck Institute for Education: Boise State University Department of Educational Technology. Retrieved July 27, 2010 from http://pbl-online.org/default.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment