Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Access

My Access

I skipped school today to go to a conference that I was nervous about, but now I’m so jacked I have to share. My classes were chosen to pilot a new writing program for the state. It’s called My Access, and I think it’s going to be amazing. The program allows students to type their papers online with the aid of an editor that helps them correct their paper in all areas. I’m not talking just conventions, here. The whole six-trait span is covered- conventions, organization, style, ideas, well you get the picture. Once the student finishes writing and revising with the help of the editor, they submit their paper and are instantly scored on a six-point scale in all areas. They are then given a revision plan (which comes with unlimited ideas for improving their work) and can begin revising until they reach the score they desire. Then, all of the information gathered is reported to the teacher.
How does this program work? Artificial Intelligence! I’m not kidding! The program offers over 1200 prompts that have been scored thousands of time by a team of professional readers. Also available are secondary prompts that have not yet been scored to the point of AI grading. For those, you can submit the papers to the actual graders. I think it’s amazing.
If this program is as amazing as I hope it will be, I can foresee a complete revamping of the way we teach writing. English teachers will be freed to have time to plan lessons to suit their students’ needs. Of course, we’ll still be reading the papers. We can just cut out the constant revision. Not only that, but our students will get instant feedback.
I can’t wait to get started and see what this baby can really do for my writers. I’ll keep you posted as we progress!

1 comment:

  1. What a great oppotunity for you to work with this. After the pilot study then you will become a model site. I am assuming they will then allow other teachers from other districts in to see what you are doing with it. WOW! How exciting for you. I am very interested in hearing how your year progresses. Is it affordable? Is it time consuming? What is the training like?
    Let us know how it goes and what you find good and what is frustrating or some roadblocks for you.
    Marilyn Goodrich
    K-12 Educational Consultant

    ReplyDelete