Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Uncharted Waters

Okay, so my classroom is running smoothly. My writers are excited about writing. I think I may have convinced a few strugglers to pick up a book. I’ve spent nine years navigating through instructional texts, using the trial and error method to create a classroom where reading and writing are cool and fun. Why would I want to go out into uncharted waters and try to figure out this blog-thing?

I’ll tell you why. Last year, our tech guy spent a few hours during pre-class conferences trying to teach us how to create a classroom web page. I loved the idea. I spent hours putting up pictures and writing a bio that demonstrated my love of reading to my students and their parents. On the site, I created a blog section where I thought my students could post writing about their favorite books. When classes began last year, I was so excited about my web page. I told all of my students to go online and view my page; their job was to write a section on the page about the first book they finished during first quarter. As it turned out, my web site was only able to be edited by its creator- me. The kids got over their disappointment, and I forgot the whole experience until this year. Now I’ve discovered the blog. Now that I’m learning how to blog, I’m on the edge of my seat with anticipation, ready to try this with my kids. Give me a few months warming up to the idea, swimming a little deeper, and I’ll be ready to take my students to the deep end. Here’s the plan:

Ms. B’s Reading Class Website
(I'm working on a catchier title :)

This site will be the place where I can write reviews of all of the young adult books I read (and there are many). I’ll post a list of the amazing YA books that are available in my classroom and in the library. My students will have access to the site, where they can go to decide which book they’ll read next. One section will be devoted to my reading students. Here, they can opt to write their own reviews of the great books we read. This will be a great tool- kids choose books based on what their friends are reading. I can see them now, taking a break from ‘Facebook’ to take a look at the reading page. There, they’ll see that ‘Alyssa’, the cool girl in school, posted a blog about Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull, her new favorite series in the world. Maybe they’ll decide to cut ties with their precious computers to go to a quiet place and read. How fun! The options are endless, and I can’t wait to dive in. (Just give me a little time.) Has anyone else tried this in their classrooms? I need your help!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I can see the potential already for you. Don't forget to create a link to many of the publisher web sites that review books and show the latest releases in young adult literature..Penguin, Scholastic, and etc. They also run contests for free books. A great way to get the kids excited about reading. What a great way to develop an online book club blog. One of my teachers developed this for her parents to use to promote reading in her preschool and K kids through the parents. It was a hit!
    I also recommend taking a look at subscribing to Teen Ink for your kids. A great magazine for kids who want to publish their work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marilyn, for the great ideas. Can you get me the link to your teacher's reading site? I'd love to see a sample site for ideas.
    I never even thought about Teen Ink. I use that site often to print student writing for inspiration for my classes. I have a new goal- I'm going to figure out how to link websites this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the idea of an online book club. My seventh and eighth graders currently are involved in reading and journaling on Fridays, so I could see this as a great application to that. I think it would be neat to even get parents involved in the blog writing reviews or commenting. I know students always think it's neat when their parents have read a book that we're reading in class or that they're reading on their own like The Outsiders or Where the Red Fern Grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Love it! Parents will absolutely be invited to share on the book club site, along with former students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I may try this online post with my students. I require that they each turn in a paper written book review each nine weeks, however this would be more exciting because parents could become involved. This would also allow student to gain interest in books they may not normally read. You know a book is better when a peer recommends it, than a teacher! Excellent Idea!
    Freda 7th ELA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris,

    You have some great ideas already in place,keep it up! Your thought of kids jumping off off facebook to a blog about reading is encouraging. I think that this weeks reading about students having to address a different audience might scare them but also make them create their thoughts before posting (unlike social sites). The fact that their parents could possibly read their entries could definitely have a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris,

    I love your idea about creating an area on your blog space where students have access to book reviews from your class's and the school's library. The one suggestion that I have is that you let your students write the book reviews that you will compile in your online book reviews space. Why not make it into a project for students.

    My sister has a degree in elementary ed and literacy but she has not been able to find a job yet. She somehow became involved in writing book reviews for a publishing company. What she does is receives books from a publisher and writes a review of the book. In return they sort of pay her with the books in that she gets to keep the book. If you could find something like this for the young adult readers that would be a good way to compile a nice classroom library. Here is her link;

    http://katiesliteraturelounge.blogspot.com/

    Have a great one,
    Paul H.

    ReplyDelete